I love making this colorful, salad when the weather warms, it makes enough to feed a crowd and makes a great side dish or appetizer if served with chips. It’s also great as a topping for taco salads or
served with grilled meat and fresh tortillas.
And BONUS, this salad is low in saturated fat and loaded with antioxidants. A perfect summer side dish for grilled meat, fish or chicken. It’s best when you use sweet fresh roasted corn, but if corn is not in season, frozen, thawed corn will work just fine in it’s place.
- 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 9 oz cooked corn, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 1/2 – 2 limes, juice of
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh minced cilantro (or more to taste)
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1 medium hass avocado, diced
- 1 diced jalapeno (optional)
In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, tomato, onion, scallion, cilantro, salt and pepper. Squeeze fresh lime juice to taste and stir in olive oil.
Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes.
Add avocado just before serving.
Makes about 6 1/2 cups.