Scabies is a disease of the skin, caused by a mite called Sarcoptes Scabiei. This mite digs into the skin and it multiplies, causing severe itching and rashes.
What is Scabies and how do you get this disease?
Scabies is prevalent all over the world. It is spread through direct skin contact with a person who is already infected by Scabies. Scabies can also be affected by infested bedding or furniture. Sexual contact is the most common way through which a person can develop scabies.
It can also be transmitted from a mother to her baby. A mite can only live for about 48 to 72 hours without being in contact with humans, but once in contact with humans, they survive for at least 2 months. The symptoms of Scabies only begin 3 to 6 weeks after an infestation of mites into the skin of a person.
A type of Scabies that can attack pets is known as Mange. Mange mites can also affect humans, resulting in slight itching and inflammation. These mites cannot live or even reproduce on the human skin. So they finally die on their own.
Scabies Symptoms :
The symptoms of Scabies usually include itching, which is much more at night, and a rash. Scabies rashes can be seen on many parts of the body, but most of the most prominent areas are the wrists, armpits, elbows and the skin in between the fingers and toes.
How to treat Scabies:
The treatment of Scabies is done after testing and diagnosing it in the following ways:
1. Skin scraping to locate the mites and their eggs.
2. Dermoscopy, a method used to determine a closer look at the skin for mites. An adhesive tape test is done by which a doctor applies a strip of tape to the affected area and pulls it off. Thereafter, the strip is placed under a microscope for a detailed examination.
3. Adequate care has to be taken to avoid contracting this disease. Personal hygiene is absolutely necessary and of course, the regular vacuuming and cleaning of the house.
Scabies treatment Do you know Scabies can be treated at home? Yes, you heard it right.
You can get rid of Scabies with 3 Natural Home Remedies. Let’s learn these remedies in details.
Remedy 1 – Tea Tree Oil For Scabies Rashes:
Clinical studies suggest that the Tea Tree oil is incredibly useful in killing the mites. Hence it ‘s a very useful remedy to get rid of scabies.
1. Mix tea tree oil and olive oil, one tablespoon each.
2. Use a cotton ball to apply the solution on the affected area.
3. Do this twice a day for two to three weeks.
4. It will help decrease the swelling and pain while speeding up the healing process.
NOTE: Pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid using tea tree oil. Also, tea tree oil can irritate sensitive skin. If you have sensitive skin, test the treatment on a small area first.
Remedy 2 –Turmeric for Treating Scabies Rashes
Turmeric is a great herb with anti-inflammatory properties that help cure scabies effectively.
1. Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder with a few drops of lemon juice and water to make a thick paste.
2. Apply this paste on the affected skin and leave it on for about an hour.
3. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Remedy 3 – Neem Leaves for Scabies treatments:
Neem leaves have antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. Considering this, it can be extremely useful in getting rid of scabies fast.
1. Make a paste with a handful of fresh Neem leaves by crushing them with a pestle and mortar.
2. Wash the affected area thoroughly and apply the neem paste.
3. Let it dry naturally and then take a bath to wash it off.
4. Do this daily to speed up the healing process.
These are some scabies treatments you can do from your home.